I found the cutest pattern for storage tubs from Rosie Taylor Crafts. I made the small size to put my clips in and cannot wait to make the medium and large version. To be honest, I can’t believe I haven’t already made a slew of these. The pattern is very easy to follow and sewing it together was a piece of cake. I would recommend these to anyone who needs a pretty storage container to sit on their sewing table, dresser or anywhere for that matter. They can be so versatile, the ways you could use them are endless.
I didn’t take pics as I was making it as I wasn’t sure how it would turn out and it takes so long to make something when you stop to take pics every few minutes. I’ll try to take pics when I make the next one and show all the steps.
I used cotton fabric I purchased from Hobby Lobby. I sewed with a red thread against the navy fabric on purpose so the quilting lines would show up. I need more practice on hand sewing as it has been a long time since I have had any reason to hand sew. The binding at the top is machine sewed to the tub part and then folded to the inside and handsewn down. I could have finished this off a little tighter, but will attempt to do better on the next one.
As I’ve said many times, I love to sew and create things, whether it’s something for me to wear or display in my house, it is a feeling of accomplishment when I see the finished project. I’ve been buying pdf sewing patterns off the internet for about two years. I hate to admit, but I’ve bought way more than I’ve made, but this year I’m trying to change that as I would love to sew at least one item from each pattern I have bought.
The following is called the Hannah and it was designed by Sonia Estep Designs. I don’t get any kickbacks for linking her website, I just wanted to make it easier for you to find her. This was one of the easier patterns I have made. I literally printed this pattern with my printer, taped it together, cut out the pieces and then placed on the material and cut it all out all in less than an hours time, probably more like 30-40 minutes.
Sewing time was less than an hour as well as for this style only required sewing the shoulder seams together, attaching the sleeve and then sewing the side seams together from the sleeve to the bottom hem. From there you sew your cuffs, bottom band and neck band together and then fold in half wrong sides together to attach to the sleeves, neck and bottom of design. As I type this out I’m thinking “that sounds easy enough” and to be honest it is. I was so shocked by just how easy, which is why I will be making more of these in different types of fabric. This particular pattern can also be made with a front pocket, collar and even a hoodie can be added.
I think the design looked better on my mannequin than on me, but that’s because I hate ALL pictures of myself.
The fabric was purchased from Mily Mae Fabric (I do not get kickbacks for linking their site either). It is called Vortex Rib Knit and this is the denim color. I love the feel and texture of the fabric, but don’t believe I will order this color again as I notice on things that are denim they seem to wash out and I guess that is to keep the denim look, but I’m not a fan of that for anything but my jeans.