Now that fall is here and winter is approaching it’s the time to start thinking about making fudge.
Rich Cocoa Fudge
- 3 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup Hershey's Cocoa or Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1½ cups milk
- ¼ (½ stick) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil.
- Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234° on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped in very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR.
- Cool at room temperature to 110°.
- Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss.
- Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely.
- Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered contained at room temperature.